Every child has the right to attend their local childcare centre regardless of their ability. Young children with disabilities and additional needs and their families can access support from STaR in various ways.
Childcare Placement and Support Program
Children who are enrolled in our flagship Childcare Placement and Support Program receive special education support in one of the mainstream childcare centres that are affiliated with us. Support in the transition to school is included.
We currently focus on the Blacktown and Mt Druitt region of Western Sydney.
Child enrolment in the STaR Childcare Placement and Support Program
Children can be referred if they are aged 0-5 years and have a diagnosed disability/developmental delay.
Children will then be enrolled in the STaR Program based on:
- vacancies in a STaR affiliated centre
- the centre’s ability to cater for the child’s individual needs
- the level of support required
- the mix of disabilities within the group at that centre.
Parents and families of children enrolled in the STaR Program need to:
- pay the childcare fees applicable for their child’s enrolment at the childcare centre
- pay STaR a minimal fee on acceptance of an offer of placement in the Program and a minimal annual fee
- sign the parental and research agreements.
Having a child with a disability is a challenge. We assist our STaR families with information and practical support.
We know that parents and carers can easily be overwhelmed by the unexpected journey they take with their unusual children.
On a ‘needs and wants’ basis, our Family Support program:
- Helps families to negotiate the maze of services and systems
- Offers practical information, resources, workshops
- Offers intensive support during crisis
- Is free to STaR families.
Other Educational Programs
Children who are enrolled in childcare centres / preschools not affiliated with STaR and schools can access four programs on a fee-for-service basis.
A trained special education teacher visits for 10 sessions and works with educators to develop and implement an individual education plan for the child’s development and inclusion. Agreement of the childcare centre, preschool or school is essential.