Special Teaching and Research (STaR) Ltd works across early years, school-aged and post-school settings to ensure progressive, meaningful and inclusive learning for people with disabilities.
We do this through special education.
Founded in December 2001 by Dr Coral Kemp in collaboration with parents and professionals, The STaR model grew out of the Early Years Initiative at the Macquarie University Special Education Centre (MUSEC). The program educated 3-6-year-old children with disabilities and typically developing pre-schoolers together.
Under the direction of Dr Coral Kemp, The Early Years Initiative showed the benefits of this model for all children over 10 years of operation and research. For more than 40 years, Coral has worked in early childhood intervention as a special educator, consultant, and researching academic.
Special Education (our discipline)
- Specially designed teaching instruction to meet the unique learning needs of a person with disability
- Special Educators are qualified professionals with a postgraduate degree
- Special Educators promote, advocate for and facilitate inclusion
Teaching and training
- We develop and deliver evidence-based training for educators and support workers to equip them with the knowledge and skills needed to maximise the potential of people with disabilities and to promote their inclusion
- Our role is to coach and mentor those who work with people with disabilities across all settings / age groups
- Research is very much part of the STaR culture
- Evidence-based practice is embedded into all of our work
- We also conduct research